6.22.2011

Happy Summer!







I love summer! Vacations, long days, barbecues and gardening--I wish it was summer all year long. But here in Wisconsin, it's not. So I have to enjoy it as much as I can while it lasts. And that means heading to the Farmer's Market bright and early on Saturday mornings.

By far my favorite stop to make at the market is Mark and Chris's stand from Creekside Farm. They drive all the way from Prairie du Chein to Madison and they bring with them all kinds of interesting and unusual succulents. Later in the season they harvest equally wonderful vegetables like purple tomatillos and, our favorite, mouse melons. Mark knows me by name, and by now, he likes me enough to give me a discount.


This stunning aloe caught my eye immediately. I love the color and the beautiful fine lines in the leaves. Don't worry--I didn't buy it, it seems too beautiful for even my collection. :)





I was admiring the red Gasteria at the top of this photo. Maybe next week...






But I did go home with a little gem. This is a Euphorbia Quadrangularus, named for its 4-sided stems. It is currently indoors, being babied. Speaking of babies, you can see our little girl, Birdie in the upper left corner. :)

2 comments:

  1. It seems you are able to pick up some nice little plants from Mark. We've had Euphorbia quadrangularis, it seems like forever. It eventually makes a lovely hanging basket...for those who like weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great place to go to. Looks like some great succulents. And that Euphorbia you got is so cool! Can't wait to see it grow!

    ReplyDelete